EnterpriseDB Updates Postgres Plus Advanced Server
Sixth-generation of Oracle compatibility, StackBuilder Plus among multiple enterprise-class enhancements
Note: ESJ’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
EnterpriseDB has announced the immediate availability of the latest version of its flagship Postgres Plus Advanced Server database, known for providing enterprise-class performance, scalability, and compatibility features to Postgres. Among the many enhancements in version 8.4 are the sixth generation of Oracle compatibility, the integration of EnterpriseDB's installation, and update technology -- StackBuilder Plus -- and enhanced security features.
EnterpriseDB's Postgres Plus Advanced Server 8.4, which is built on the open source object relational Postgres database, is now fully compatible with all the features and functionality found in the most recent community distribution. In this latest release, EnterpriseDB continues to enrich Postgres Plus by building enterprise-class capabilities on top of an independent open source relational database management system.
EnterpriseDB has added several usability and management enhancements to its Postgres Plus Advanced Server including:
- Enhanced Oracle compatibility layer: With this sixth generation of its Oracle compatibility layer, EnterpriseDB continues to expand the universe of Oracle-centric applications that can be newly built in or migrated to Postgres. The new features help ensure that the time and cost of Postgres adoption is minimized, as organizations can preserve their existing investments in Oracle technology and skill sets.
- SQL/Protect: New query learning and enforcement modes provided by SQL/Protect give DBAs an unprecedented amount of power in guarding against SQL injection attacks. DBAs can now provide an additional layer of security to what is normally left up to application developers.
- StackBuilder Plus: This installation management and automation tool enables users to add new features to Advanced Server. EnterpriseDB selects the features most critical to enterprise customers, acquires the latest source code, builds binaries and installers, and tests the integration of the features. New modules recently added to StackBuilder Plus specifically for Advanced Server include:
- Postgres Plus HQ: A comprehensive database infrastructure monitoring tool that can check more than 160 availability, performance, throughput, and utilization metrics for Postgres Plus databases and automatically alert DBAs to out-of-bounds conditions.
- xDB Replication Server: Allows organizations to offload Oracle reporting tasks from an OLTP server, create Postgres Plus warm stand-by servers, or use xDB Replication Server to migrate data to a new Advanced Server system.
For more information, visit http://www.enterprisedb.com.