NetBackup Products Reduce Data Storage Footprint, Leverage Cloud Storage
Symantec simplifies backup and recovery through appliance and cloud-based delivery models
Note: ESJ’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
Symantec Corp. has released its NetBackup 5000 deduplication appliance and NetBackup Cloud Storage to help organizations reduce their data storage footprint and more effectively leverage cloud-based data storage services. These new delivery models provide organizations with the flexibility to manage their information with a software-, appliance-, or a cloud-based solution.
Symantec NetBackup 5000 is a scalable deduplication solution that offers operational simplicity in an appliance form factor. Providing source or target-based deduplication, the appliance increases backup performance, optimizes backup bandwidth utilization, and reduces storage costs. Eliminating duplicate data can result in cost-efficient long-term retention of data on disk and faster and more reliable backup and recovery.
“Most businesses are seeing their data stores grow by about 50 percent annually and the impact of storage costs has pushed IT departments to their limits,” said Brian Dye, vice president of product management, Information Management Group, Symantec. “By extending the benefits of Symantec NetBackup through appliance and cloud delivery models, we are helping our customers reduce complexity and cost without putting an organization’s infrastructure, information, and intellectual property at risk.”
Symantec NetBackup 5000 Appliance offers:
- Operational simplicity: A complete deduplication solution from Symantec eliminates the need to buy, test, implement, and support separate hardware and software. Organizations can set up deduplication storage with NetBackup 5000 in less than 20 minutes on average, and manage the backup process using NetBackup policies
- Flexible and scalable architecture: Up to 96 TB usable global dedupe capacity. Protect up to a petabyte of data in one deployment.
- Global deduplication: Leverage deduplication across multiple clients and appliance nodes to eliminate duplicate data and reduce storage costs.
- High performance: Backup throughput of up to 4.3 TB/hour per node.
- NetBackup integration: Integration with NetBackup for scalable, load-balanced disk-backup for the data center.
- Storage reduction: Up to 10 to 50 times reduction in storage and 99 percent reduction in bandwidth consumption, allowing organizations to reduce overall storage costs.
- Virtual machine protection: In virtual environments, NetBackup 5000 offers flexible backup options including guest or image-level backup for both VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V environments with the option of recovering single files or entire VMDK/VHD images.
NetBackup Cloud Storage
NetBackup Cloud Storage combines Symantec NetBackup with Nirvanix cloud storage services to deliver a reliable and simple way to drive down information management costs and utilize the cloud for disaster recovery. Symantec has extended its OpenStorage API to the cloud, enabling integration between Symantec software and the Nirvanix Storage Delivery Network (SDN) to deliver an automated and policy-based backup and recovery solution. Custom connectors for NetBackup allow administrators to manage cloud storage for backup and recovery as easily as on-premise storage with the lower costs delivered by cloud storage. Businesses can also establish the cloud as a new storage tier or as a secondary off-site location for disaster recovery.
Nirvanix Storage Delivery Network (SDN) is a fully-managed, secure cloud-storage service. The SDN intelligently stores, delivers and processes storage requests in the best network location. The SDN is comprised of standards-based access to integrated services, powered by Nirvanix’s proprietary technology and infrastructure.
Symantec NetBackup 5000 is available now in select countries. The NetBackup connector for Nirvanix is available now globally. For more information, visit www.symantec.com.