Exchange Server 2010 SP1 RU5 Doesn't Include Fix for Outlook
Update Rollup 5 for Exchange 2010 Service Pack 1 missing Copy/Move Fix for Outlook.
Update Rollup 5 (RU5) for Exchange 2010 Service Pack 1 was released this week but without a fix for an Outlook problem that stalled its previous RU4 update.
The problem with RU4 was described by Microsoft in July after some users updated the software and experienced a copy/move problem with public folders using Outlook with Exchange 2010 SP1. The files seemed to disappear after the copy and move. Instead of moving properly, the files would be placed in the "recoverable items" folder. Microsoft warned IT professionals not to apply RU4 because of this problem, and suggested that users with RU4 applied contact Microsoft Customer Support for an Interim Update.
Microsoft said it would include a fix for this public folder copy problem with RU5, but on Tuesday the company released RU5 at the Microsoft Download Center and explained in a blog post that the problem is still being worked on.
"With regard to the ability to recover a deleted public folder, this fix was not included in RU5 as further testing revealed a problem with the identified fix," stated Brent Alinger of Microsoft, in the comments section of the blog. "We are still working on a resolution to this issue and it will be included in a future Rollup or Service Pack when it resolves the issue satisfactorily and has been fully validated."
Apparently, the Interim Update solution provided by Microsoft Customer Support also did not fix the public folder recovery issue. Those who installed the Interim Update must uninstall it first before applying RU5, according to the blog entry.
"Interim Updates are build specific," explained Ross Smith IV of Microsoft in the comments section of the blog. "You cannot install a newer rollup if you have an IU installed. You have to first uninstall the IU before installing a newer rollup."
The RU5 release contains a number of specific fixes, highlighted by Microsoft:
- RU5 fixes a problem with PDF attachments sent from a Mac Mail clients that don't appear when read with Outlook 2010 when using Exchange Server 2010.
- A ChangeKey synchronization problem with Outlook for Mac 2011 on Exchange Server 2010 is fixed.
- An Outlook problem on Exchange Server 2010 was fixed where users could not delete folders starting with special characters in the folder name.
- A problem with Outlook Web App Premium on Internet Explorer 7 and Exchange Server 2010 was fixed where e-mail attachments could not be saved if the subject line of the e-mail started with a special character.
- A bundle of other issues described in Knowledge Base article 2582113 got fixed, too.
Microsoft is planning to make RU5 available via Microsoft Update in late September, although it's available at the Microsoft Download Center now. The next update, RU6 for Exchange Server 2010 SP1, is expected to arrive in October.
Kurt Mackie is senior news producer for 1105 Media's Converge360 group.