CA Integrates CA Endevor SCM, IBM Rational Developer for System z
Sharing of views, programming elements helps customers streamline updates, reduce errors
Note: ESJ’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
CA has integrated CA Endevor Software Change Manager (CA Endevor SCM), the company’s change management solution, and IBM’s Rational Developer for System z (RDz) V7.6, the IBM Rational mainframe development environment. This new integration is designed to significantly simplify the development and management of mainframe software by streamlining application updates, reducing change-related programming errors, and facilitating compliance audits.
Many mainframe developers already use both RDz as their integrated development environment (IDE) and CA Endevor SCM for automating software lifecycle management tasks such as code merging, versioning, and change tracking. This integration gives customers the ability to seamlessly link-related development and software lifecycle management tasks.
A programmer using RDz can now can extract the elements of an application within CA Endevor SCM awaiting modification, perform the modification, and store the changes back into CA Endevor SCM for acceptance into the next release of the application. The CA Endevor SCM edit environment now includes key RDz functions such as content assist and smart syntax check -- along with ISPF look and feel. When completed, the changes are placed back into CA Endevor SCM so users can take advantage of all CA Endevor SCM controls and build functionality. This unified approach to coding and release management can now improve productivity, accelerate time-to-delivery, and enable the auditability of programmer activities.
In addition, the integration enables RDz users to:
- View CA Endevor SCM elements
- Retrieve CA Endevor SCM elements to an RDz project in order to take advantage of the rich RDz functionality
- Filter the RDz views by environment, system, subsystem, stage ID, and element to narrow down the number of elements that are visible at any given time.
- Create multiple views using different combinations of environment, system, subsystem, stage ID, and element to help better organize the elements that are being accessed
- Copy projects into CA Endevor SCM to leverage all the CA Endevor SCM controls
- Use RDz to invoke CA Endevor SCM’s build functions
- Compare the history and version of CA Endevor SCM elements with the RDz visual compare
This integration supports CA’s Mainframe 2.0 initiative by reducing the cost of mainframe ownership and making it easy for a new generation of IT professionals to assume responsibility for mainframe management tasks. Customers can also use CA Mainframe Software Manager, a core Mainframe 2.0 deliverable, to automate the acquisition and installation of CA Endevor SCM.
For more information, visit www.ca.com.