Synology Adds Cloud Backup, Encryption to Storage Manager
DiskStation Manager 2.3 also speeds setup of RAID volumes
Note: ESJ’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
Synology America Corp. has released DiskStation Manager (DSM) 2.3. With new features including encryption, quick easy setup of RAID volumes with SHR, backup to the cloud, and video surveillance with iPhone DS cam, among others, DSM 2.3 delivers a data management solution for small offices and mid-size businesses.
Built on the company’s DiskStation Manager firmware, the new DSM 2.3 is centered on helping customers share, protect, and manage files quickly and effortlessly. The power of DSM 2.3 is in the integration and seamless user experience. DSM 2.3 was developed specifically for the DiskStation to serve as the digital hub. With integrated applications for file sharing, remote access, automatic backup, multi-media streaming, surveillance, and e-mail or Web hosting, the DiskStation with DSM 2.3 can economically replace multiple devices and solve the needs of even the most sophisticated users.
Doug Self, product marketing specialist at Synology America Corp., explains that “with the new Synology Hybrid RAID, we’ve taken a complex task and made it so simple that even users with no knowledge of RAID can be up and running in no time regardless of the size of hard drives they’re using. By adding backup to the cloud using Amazon S3 service, DS cam iPhone app for Surveillance Station, encryption, and other new enhancements, DSM 2.3 really elevates the user experience on the DiskStation and brings a whole new array of options.”
DSM 2.3 features and benefits include:
- Radically Easy RAID and Volume Management: Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) makes it very easy for customers to grow their storage capacity by adding new disks or upsizing the capacity of disks. With minimal efforts from users, SHR ensures that storage capacity is automatically optimized even when different sized hard drives are used.
- Double Protection with Cloud Backup: Built-in utility makes backing up to the cloud using Amazon S3 service simple. Now customers can have the best of both worlds; they can keep data on their DiskStation and have the extra protection of creating an off-site backup in the cloud.
- Peace of Mind with Encryption: New AES 256-bit shared folder encryption levels add even more flexibility. Encryption provides an additional layer of security if the DiskStation is stolen offering peace of mind for critical or private data.
- View Surveillance Station Feeds on iPhone: With the new iPhone application, DS cam, customers who use Surveillance Station on their DiskStations can now view live and recorded events from their IP cameras on their iPhone at locations such as an office or warehouse.
- Easy Access to DiskStations from the Web: Customers can set up their DiskStations to access from the Internet easily and quickly with the built-in EZ-Internet Assistant wizard that walk through all the complex settings such as port forwarding and DDNS.
Customizable Management UI: Advanced users, VARs, and administrators will appreciate the new ability to customize the management user interface for specific uses or end users.
DSM 2.3 also includes; Wake on LAN ability, new Data Replicator 3 with Win7 support, a new Synology Assistant, and an updated File Station 3.
More information is available at www.synology.com.