Maxell's LTO Ultrium 5 Data Cartridge Expands Storage to 3TB
New size makes cartridge cost-efficient media for archival applications
Note: ESJ’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
Maxell Corporation of America has addressed the growing demand for reliable storage and back-up of digital information with the LTO 5 data cartridge, offering a maximum storage capacity of 3 terabytes (TB) with write once, read many (WORM) functionality. The cartridge's capacity makes for a cost-efficient archival media solution for a variety of professional broadcast and video applications.
With a compressed transfer rate of up to 280MB/sec and maximum storage capacity of up to 3TB, Maxell’s Ultrium 5 is the fifth generation in the LTO Ultrium product line. Providing nearly double the capacity of the previous generation, LTO Ultrium 5 data cartridges are backward compatible with earlier generations, including read-and write capability with Ultrium 4 cartridges, and read capabilities with Ultrium 3 cartridges. The Maxell LTO Ultrium 5 data cartridge may be used in all Ultrium 5 drives.
Featuring encryption capabilities designed to enable hardware-based writing of encrypted data to the LTO Ultrium data cartridge, the LTO Ultrium 5 format helps protect the storage and transport of important footage. The LTO Ultrium 5 format also features WORM functionality.
Maxell has completed the LTO Ultrium 5 data cartridge compliance verification process, which includes an exhaustive series of tests to confirm interchange compatibility with other drives and media, so users can be confident of compatibility and interchangeability between Maxell LTO Ultrium media and all brands of Ultrium drives and media.
Key features of Maxell LTO Ultrium 5 data cartridges include:
- Maxell NeoSMART (Super Maximum-capacity Advanced Reliability Tape) technology
- Ultra-fine, ceramic-armored metal particles with high energy and superior recording performance provide protection against corrosion for product’s life and superior durability
- Extremely accurate servo writing technologies ensure stable servo characteristics and superior tracking reliability, corresponding to increased data track density
- Uniform, ultra-thin, and sub-micron magnetic coating for high output and enhanced stability for read/write performance
- Built-in non-contact 8KB memory chip stores historical usage records and enables high speed data searches by the drive. In addition, Maxell Cartridge Memory Analyzers use this chip to diagnose drive or tape abnormalities.
More information is available at www.maxell-usa.com.