HyTrust Appliance Version 2.0 Targets Virtualization Control
Adds policy federation, boot password vault, fully-indexed search
Note: ESJ’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
HyTrust, Inc. has released HyTrust Appliance Version 2.0. Built specifically for enterprises that want to maximize their return on investment in virtualization but whose "virtual footprint" remains limited by a lack of visibility and control, HyTrust Appliance allows organizations to virtualize with controls for access, compliance, and accountability. The new version adds policy federation, full-index search, and root password vault to its list of features.
New features include:
- Federated Deployment: A secure, distributed system architecture allows automated replication of policies and templates across multiple HyTrust Appliances and geographic boundaries; for larger enterprises with multiple data centers and collocation facilities, it ensures consistency of controls across the entire infrastructure
- Root Password Vault: Locks down privileged host accounts and provides passwords for temporary use to enable time-limited privileged account access; all root account access is attributable to an individual and every action is logged, providing far greater visibility and accountability
- Virtual Infrastructure Search: Supports massive scale deployments with accessibility to all virtual infrastructure objects, policies, and logs
- Object Policy Labels: Creates a policy categorization structure similar to Web 2.0 tagging for virtual infrastructure objects; enables access, network segment, and zoning policies, allowing administrators to dictate which virtual machines are allowed to connect with which network segments or hosts via rule sets and constraints
- Remote API: An interface to remotely access and automate HyTrust Appliance administration
- Router-Mode: A deployment option that forces all virtualization management traffic to flow through the HyTrust Appliance, which acts as a router for the "protected" management subnet wherein, for example, ESX/ESXi hosts and vCenter Server would use HyTrust Appliance as the default gateway
Single Purpose, Single Point of Control
HyTrust Appliance was built to give customers a single point of control and visibility over their virtual infrastructure. The appliance provides capabilities for virtualization data centers to be "operationally ready." This includes:
- Virtual Infrastructure Policy Management: Enables the creation of enforceable constraints within virtual infrastructure that may be applied directly to virtual machines, virtual switches, hosts, and other objects and map precisely to operational requirement
- Unified Access Control: Enables highly granular access policies for consistent access control at the hypervisor-layer and a turnkey solution to ensure secure privileged account access
- Hypervisor Hardening: Ability to proactively monitor and remediate VMware vSphere hosts based on pre-built or custom assessment frameworks, such as PCI DSS, C.I.S. Benchmark, and VMware best practices
- Audit-quality Log Management: Provides granular, user-specific, virtual infrastructure access log records that can be used for regulatory compliance, troubleshooting, and forensic analysis.
Availability and Pricing
Three editions of HyTrust Appliance 2.0 are available now:
- HyTrust Appliance Community Edition is a free full-featured version of the product downloadable from the Web that can support up to three hosts
- HyTrust Appliance Standard Edition supports an unlimited number of hosts and is licensed on a per-host basis ($500 per socket) ·
- HyTrust Appliance Enterprise Edition supports an unlimited number of hosts, federation of multiple HyTrust Appliances, privileged account management via root password vault, two-factor authentication, a remote API, and is licensed on a per-host basis ($750 per socket)
For more information, visit www.hytrust.com.