Symantec Updates Enterprise Vault 9.0
New Discovery Collector streamlines information management, e-discovery
Note: ESJ’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
Symantec Corp. has updated Symantec Enterprise Vault to version 9.0 and unveiled Enterprise Vault Discovery Collector technology to help organizations store, manage, and discover information across the enterprise.
Enterprise Vault 9.0 improves compliance and e-discovery searches by combining e-mail messages from Microsoft Hosted Exchange with on-premise archived content sources into a central repository, so enterprises can reduce costs, centrally manage e-discovery, and support internal investigations. Enterprise Vault 9.0 adds support for Microsoft Exchange 2010 Service Pack 1, Microsoft SharePoint 2010, and Domino 8.5.1.
Enterprise Vault Discovery Collector helps organizations easily discover unmanaged information from desktops and laptops, as well as data that has not yet been archived from Microsoft SharePoint and file shares, and quickly produces it for e-discovery requests.
Symantec's 2010 Information Management Health Check Survey found that although almost 90 percent of enterprises recognize implementing a proper information retention strategy would allow them to delete unnecessary information, fewer than half actually have a formal information retention plan in place. Instead, companies save information indefinitely because they fear deleting information that may be important to the business or may be required as part of a future e-discovery request. As a result, information becomes harder to find and the costs of storing and searching for that information rise.
Updates to the product include:
- Enterprise Vault 9.0 enables customers to use Microsoft Hosted Exchange with Enterprise Vault to realize the benefits of combining hosted e-mail with on-premise archived content sources into a central repository for easy compliance and e-discovery searches.
- Enterprise Vault Discovery Collector supports urgent e-discovery and internal investigation requirements by providing tools for legal users to make early case assessments faster and at a lower cost.
- New deduplication technology within Enterprise Vault Discovery Accelerator eliminates the review and export of redundant files to drive down cost and accelerates time required for an early case assessment.
- Enterprise Vault 9.0 expands its platform support to include archiving and discovery of Microsoft Exchange 2010 Service Pack 1, Microsoft SharePoint 2010, and Lotus Domino 8.5.1. Enterprise Vault also enhances Lotus Domino support by adding mail-in databases to capture documents and workflows for storage optimization and e-discovery.
- Symantec’s FileStore appliance has been tested and certified with Symantec Enterprise Vault. Using the two together provides organizations with an end-to-end solution for information management and protection in traditional and cloud storage environments. With high-performance file serving and built-in offerings for antivirus, backup/recovery, archiving, snapshots, and dynamic storage tiering, FileStore can serve as the foundation for an efficient information infrastructure.
- Organizations using Symantec NetBackup can now leverage an integrated Enterprise Vault 9.0 agent at no cost to backup Enterprise Vault. Enterprise Vault works with NetBackup to define automatic, policy-based migration strategies that move archived information from disk managed by Enterprise Vault to tape or other media managed by NetBackup.
Symantec Enterprise Vault 9.0, Enterprise Vault Discovery Collector and Enterprise Vault Discovery Accelerator 9.0 are available now. More information is available at www.symantec.com.