Fortinet Introduces UTM Security, Switching Blades
New blades coupled with FortiGate chassis provide up to 500 Gbps firewall throughput performance.
Note: ESJ’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
Fortinet, a firm specializing in unified threat management (UTM) solutions has released the newest flagship model in the FortiGate-5000 series appliance family, along with a new high-performance switching option. When combined, these products deliver essential network defenses for dynamic, multi-tenant large enterprise and service provider networks, including security-as-a-service and infrastructure-as-a-service environments.
The new FortiGate-5001B is a high-performance security blade that integrates critical security services and native 10-Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) support for FortiGate-5000 chassis-based platforms. Delivering up to 40 Gbps of firewall throughput and up to 17 Gbps of virtual private network (VPN) throughput, the FortiGate-5001B integrates essential security functions in a compact Advanced Telecom Computing Architecture (ATCA)-compliant blade form factor. This includes enterprise firewall, virtual private network, application control, intrusion prevention, anti-virus/anti-malware, anti-spam, and Web filtering.
To optimize the performance of these security services, the FortiGate-5001B security blade integrates the latest Intel 4-core CPU and two Fortinet FortiASIC NP4 network processor chips. FortiGate has also complies with NEBS Level 3, a requirement for operation of carrier-class equipment in the central offices of major telecommunications companies.
Delivering 10-GbE switching to the backplane fabric of the FortiGate-5000 series chassis, the new FortiSwitch-5003B switching blade operates with exceptionally low latency to maximize multi-threat security performance required by increasingly bandwidth-hungry data centers. Fortinet’s new products, designed for very large enterprises, carriers, and managed service providers, provide consolidated security services and simplified network infrastructures that deliver substantially increased performance, dramatically improved multi-threat protection and significantly lower operating costs.
When coupling the FortiGate-5001B with the FortiGate-5140 chassis, telecommunications and managed security service providers will have up to 500 Gbps firewall throughput performance. By combining a FortiGate-5000 series chassis with the new FortiGate-5001B security blade and optional FortiSwitch-5003B switching blade, customers have access to a modular, multi-threat security solution with carrier-grade reliability and scalability required by 10-GigE network environments.
As a highly modular platform, the FortiGate-5000 series is designed to be the cornerstone of high-performance security infrastructures. Ideal for high-speed multi-threat security gateways, managed security services, and complex security zoning applications, the FortiGate-5000 series, equipped with the new FortiGate-5001B and FortiSwitch-5003B blades, can be integrated with Fortinet's centralized management and reporting solutions to provide broad control of large-scale deployments.
The FortiGate-5000 Series also offers:
- Redundant, hot swappable power supplies and fans to minimize single-points of failure
- Use of active/active and active/passive high-availability modes for uninterrupted service
- Integration with Fortinet’s FortiManager centralized management and FortiAnalyzer centralized reporting appliances to simplify security management, reporting, and analysis while reducing operating expenses
- Availability of FortiGuard Subscription Services to deliver automated, real-time, and up-to-date protection against security threats and exploits
- Deployment flexibility that includes network segmentation by customer, business unit or any other logical partition to maximize control through the use of virtual domains; the platform can also be used in virtualized environments
- Complements or upgrades existing security infrastructure by enabling only the services needed in integrated, all-in-one security blades
- Design the exact mix of multi-threat security, load-balancing, and high-speed networking required to support organizational security requirements
More information is available at www.fortinet.com.