Iomega Ships New Top-of-Line Rackmount Network Storage for SMBs, Distributed Enterprises
New Iomega StorCenter px12-350r network storage array improves performance, offers attractive price.
Note: ESJ’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
Iomega, an EMC company, has launched its new Iomega StorCenter px12-350r network storage array, a network storage solution delivering high levels of performance and advanced data protection for small- to medium-sized businesses and distributed enterprises.
Featuring EMC storage and security technologies, the new StorCenter px12-350r Network Storage Array replaces the Iomega StorCenter ix12-300r as Iomega’s top-of-the-line rackmount network storage array. The new StorCenter px12-350r combines software capabilities with hardware to improve capacity and performance, making the px12-350r well suited for use in production data stores, server virtualization, backup-to-disk target, and video surveillance at prices under $10,500 for the maximum 36 terabytes of network storage.
With full Hyper-V Live migration support, multiple RAID levels, and hot-swap drives, certification for the most popular virtualization environments and the only SMB rackmount NAS in the industry to natively support Avamar deduplicating backup, the new StorCenter px12-350r offers data management and protection that is also easy to use, easy to manage, and affordable for SMBs to own.
A 2U form factor rackmount NAS with 12 slots for drive expansion, the StorCenter px12-350r comes in two base configurations: 4 x 2TB drives for minimum of 8TB of network storage, and 4X 3TB drives for 12TB of network storage. Users can expand capacity with 7200 rpm SATA HDDs in four-drive increments up to 12 x 3TB drives -- for up to 36TBs of network storage. Users can also add very high-performance 128GB solid state drives (SSDs), which are available from Iomega.
Advanced Business Features
In addition to standard network storage features, the new StorCenter px12-350r has many of today’s most important business-class features and advanced capabilities, including:
- High-performance computing with Intel Core2 Duo processor and expanded 4GB memory
- Four gigabit Ethernet ports with bonding capability for load balancing and high performance bandwidth aggregation or failover
- Advanced data protection with RAID levels 1, 10, 5, and 6 with hot spare, automatic RAID rebuild and hot-swap functionality (RAID 0 and JBOD mode also available)
- UPS support, hot-swap drives, and data replication with device-to-device copy jobs that can be defined and scheduled as needed to keep data backed up and secure.
- Server class pedigree: Certified for VMware vSphere 5, Citrix XenServer 5.6, and Windows Server 2003/2008/2008 R2.
- With Avamar support on the px12-350r, the product natively supports EMC’s Avamar sub-file deduplication for remote office/branch office (ROBO) backup
- Sophisticated networking: Ethernet port bonding for load balancing, high performance bandwidth aggregation or failover, as well as VLAN tagging for security and manageability
- ISCSI target capability provides block-level access for most efficient storage utilization, as well as topping out at a blazing 425MB/second in sequential read I/O performance
- Storage pools group together drives of like size and RAID protection to simplify management
- Windows Active Directory Trusted Domains, MSCS, and Hyper-V Live migration support
- Embedded AXIS Video Hosting System (AVHS) provides support for up to 12 AXIS IP security cameras for affordable and superior video surveillance solutions
Use Cases for the StorCenter px12-350r
The new Iomega StorCenter px12-350r can serve multiple business uses, including:
Databases: Boot performance by running small database applications entirely from a StorCenter px12-350r utilizing SSDs, or enhance performance and lower costs for larger databases by running application files, log files, and index files from a px12 with SSDs, then use traditional SATA HDD storage for the actual data.
Offsite Backup: No more worrying about important, up-to-date data residing in one place. Keep data protected by installing one StorCenter ix12-350r at the main location and a second unit (or any of Iomega’s StorCenter NAS devices) at a second location such as a warehouse, second office, or the home office. Both StorCenter units can be in the user’s Personal Cloud, and the “Copy Jobs” functionality allows the user to copy their entire storage or selected files and folders from one unit to the other.
Virtualized Infrastructure: The StorCenter px12-350r works flawlessly with all leading virtualization platforms, allowing users to create high-performance shared storage resources for virtualized servers by incorporating an Iomega StorCenter ix12-350r. Take a step further and utilize SSDs along with SATA drives to experience dramatically enhanced shared storage performance for virtualized environments. SMBs will find the px12-350r particularly appealing for virtualized desktop infrastructure (VDI) environments like VMware View.
Upgrades for ix12-300r Customers
Iomega is also releasing upgrades for the thousands of StorCenter ix12-300r systems in use today. Current StorCenter ix12-300r customers can upgrade to the new 4GB memory as well as add SSDs to existing ix12-300r units. They can continue to add SATA disk drives to expand capacity to the ix12-300r’s limit. Current StorCenter ix12-300r -users should check the Iomega support site for the latest software updates.
Availability and Warranty
The new Iomega StorCenter px12-350r Network Storage Array is now available worldwide.
The StorCenter px12-350r is available in two models: the 8TB model (4 x 2TB HDD) is $5,999.99, and the 12TB model (4 X 3TB HDD) is $6,999.99 (7200 rpm SATA HDDs are used in both models.) (All prices U.S. suggested retail.)
There are two Expansion Pack options for flexibility and growth: the 8TB Expansion Pack (4 x 2TB HDD) is $1,399.99, and the 12TB Expansion Pack (4 X 3TB HDD) is $1,699.99. Additionally, 128GB Solid State Drives (SSDs) are available from Iomega at $399.99 each.
Also available are single spare SSDs, spare power supply, spare fan and spares kits that include a single spare drive (2TB or 3TB HDD), fan, and power supply.
The Iomega StorCenter px12-350r Network Storage Array includes a standard three-year limited warranty with phone support 8 hours a day, five days a week. Optional service plans include Iomega’s Enhanced Service Plan which includes 24x7 phone support with advance replacement.
More information is available at www.iomega.com.