CFEngine’s New Configuration Management Suite Automates Distributed Infrastructure
CFEngine 3 Nova gives system administrators greater agility, control over constantly changing, increasingly complex IT infrastructure.
Note: ESJ’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
CFEngine AS, a European provider of IT automation software for system administrators, has unveiled “CFEngine 3 Nova,” a major new version of its commercial configuration management software.
CFEngine’s decentralized, autonomous agent technology delivers scalability. It can continuously monitor, self-repair, and update the IT infrastructure of a global multi-site enterprise within minutes with negligible impact on system resources or performance.
CFEngine 3 is an advanced open source configuration management platform that can precisely manage and automate all facets of large-scale IT infrastructure, including system scalability and performance, security, IT compliance, system-event orchestration, application deployment, and desktop management.
CFEngine 3 Nova is a commercial subscription offering built upon the open source CFEngine 3 project. It helps organizations overcome their biggest IT challenges by increasing agility and consistency while reducing costs and system outages.
This major update of CFEngine Nova includes these new and enhanced features:
- The “Nova Mission Portal” dashboard is a graphical user interface (GUI) for setting policies and monitoring system health. The Mission Portal can also produce policy reports on the state of any IT service or machine in the enterprise, allowing executives to develop and review custom IT metrics weighted specifically to the organization’s business goals.
- Native Support for Windows: CFEngine Nova users can employ fine-grained management of Microsoft Windows servers and desktops, including native control of the Windows Registry, Windows Services, and Windows Access Control Lists (ACLs).
- Ensure Faster IT Compliance: CFEngine 3 Nova simplifies the implementation and compliance of commercial and government IT regulations such as PCI-DSS, SOX 404, STIGs, and accepted industry best practices. Nova supports extensive and flexible customization of policies and reports, allowing organizations to complete IT audits in hours instead of weeks.
- Improved Hypervisor Integration: Enhanced support for creating and managing XEN/KVM virtual machines on the fly using the industry standard libvirt API library.
- Support for mission-critical high availability through a fully redundant, lightweight architecture for system information updating. Users get reliable and predictable insight with fault recovery times of only a few minutes in case of failure.
CFEngine 3 Nova runs on major enterprise computing platforms, including Linux, Unix, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, FreeBSD, Microsoft Windows, and Macintosh.
Additional Nova information and resources are available at www.cfengine.com/nova. The Community version of CFEngine 3 is available for free download from www.cfengine.com/download.