Updated Borland StarTeam Unifies ALM Environments
Increases, extends interoperability of application lifecycle management tools.
Note: ESJ’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
Micro Focus has launched an update of Borland StarTeam 12.0. The new suite of change management tools increases and extends interoperability of application lifecycle management (ALM) tools and asset types across software development teams. This helps to overcome traditional development barriers such as lack of cross-tool visibility and inefficient collaboration.
Borland StarTeam has provided management support for a wide range of ALM asset types, including version-controlled files, customizable change requests, tasks, requirements, and threaded discussions. The new suite extends this list, giving it access to a larger and potentially more valuable repository. The inclusion of the new Borland Connector adds complete ALM tool interoperability to the product, making it possible for a more diverse group of ALM practitioners to directly participate and contribute to the developer’s work scope.
Borland StarTeam 12.0 automatically connects developers and their code to any other change management artifact, enabling teams to fully participate in the flow of software delivery to end users. By making it easier to extend the types of software assets that can be managed, StarTeam enables organizations to better shape their ALM environment according to their unique development tool landscape and methodology needs.
Key benefits and features of StarTeam 12.0:
- Extendable ALM assets: StarTeam 12.0 help teams take control of their SCCM infrastructure by allowing users to extend the definition of which ALM assets can be managed. Newly defined asset types make use of familiar usage paradigms, leading to a reduced learning curve and improved adoption
- Borland Tasktop connector certification and integration: Make developers full members of the software delivery process through task-focused access to StarTeam change management assets or other third-party tools from within the Eclipse or Visual Studio IDEs
- Consolidated visibility: With Tasktop Sync, organizations can view all artifacts, custom or otherwise, from third-party tools, bringing them into the same unified presentation as native StarTeam artifacts
- Development efficiency: With Tasktop Dev, developers can stay in their IDE where they are most productive but still participate in the processes and workflows that management needs
- Increased visibility for management: More accurate and frequent developer status and time reporting provides management with increased visibility for project planning
- Enhanced traceability: Organizations now have the flexibility to automatically create traceability between source code and change management artifacts from third-party systems. This allows for streamlined multi-tool processes and encourage informed decision making
- ALM synchronization: StarTeam is now supported by the industry-standard Eclipse Mylyn ALM interoperability framework which provides real-time synchronization, configurable automatic conflict resolution, and support for more than two dozen ALM tools’ tracking and reporting facilities
The key new features in StarTeam 12.0 unify ALM environments and provide management with valuable insight and predictability. StarTeam 12.0 creates a single source of the truth with real-time updates happening across any combination of ALM systems and tools.
More information is available at www.microfocus.com/products/StarTeam/index.aspx.