Symantec Updates Data Protection with Integrated Backup, Deduplication Appliances
NetBackup 5200, Backup Exec 3600 appliances protect information across virtual, physical systems.
Note: ESJ’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
Symantec Corp. had updated its backup appliances, NetBackup 5220 and Backup Exec 3600. The solutions now include the latest NetBackup 7.5 and Backup Exec 2012 software from Symantec announced earlier this year.
For many customers, the challenges with protecting virtual and physical servers have been caused by the proliferation of as many as seven different backup solutions in a single environment and the integration problems between the hardware and software. Individual point solutions for target deduplication and virtual machine backup have only added to the complexity that has forced administrators to call for a new approach.
Symantec’s backup appliances deliver an end-to-end integrated backup appliance for servers, storage, and software. Gone are the days of extreme systems engineering where it was the customer’s responsibility to make all of their backup solutions work together.
NetBackup 5220’s key features include:
- NetBackup Accelerator: Helps shrink big backups into smaller backup windows by delivering full backups at the speed of incremental backups for up to 100 times faster backup.
- Replication Director: Brings the speed of snapshots and the recoverability of backup together to protect large volumes of data and virtual machines.
- Symantec V-Ray technology: Protects up to 3,000 VMware virtual machines with a single appliance while enabling fast file or image recovery with less hardware (e.g., direct VMware vSphere backups without proxy servers).
- Auto image replication: Enables disaster recovery over the network by combining deduplication with replication so you can stop putting tapes on trucks or helicopters.
- Symantec critical system protection: Combines security and storage to protect appliances and backup data against zero day attacks and malicious insider threats.
- WAN optimization: Provides reliable backups even in high latency environments.
Backup Exec 3600 features include:
- Improved backup user experience: Changes the way backups are managed by organizing them around systems and information. Optimized and priced for SMB customers, the Backup Exec 3600 appliance’s policies and settings are designed so organizations can implement expert backup policies without being experts in backup.
- Symantec V-Ray: Unites virtual and physical backups to deliver single-pass backups of VMware, Hyper-V and the physical hosts they run on so users can recover virtual machines, applications, databases, files, folders and even granular objects in seconds.
- Free disaster recovery built-in: Integrated bare-metal recovery includes backup-to-virtual (B2V) and physical-to-virtual (P2V) conversion technologies to allow users to recover a failed system to a VMware or Hyper-V guest. All Backup Exec customers who upgrade to BE 2012 have access to this at no cost, enabling businesses that thought disaster recovery was out of reach to implement a plan.
- Tape-out support: Backup Exec 3600 appliance has added tape support for additional longer-term or offsite data protection.
- Cloud recovery as a service: With the Cloud disaster recovery option, customers can leverage cloud recovery as a service powered by Doyenz for planned and unplanned system recovery of VMware environments.
- Data deduplication: Users can protect more data while reducing storage by up to 90 percent and improve backup performance through integrated deduplication and archiving technology.
Many solutions require the IT team to integrate multiple solutions for tape, disk, dedupe, physical, virtual snapshots, and backup. Symantec appliances are different; they are typically installed in less than 30 minutes and deliver integrated hardware, software, and dedupe storage, providing customers with simplicity and performance from one vendor. The NetBackup 5220 and Backup Exec 3600 are a modern approach to backup for organizations of any size.
Symantec NetBackup 5220 and Backup Exec 3600 appliances are available now in select countries worldwide. For more information, please visit www.symantec.com/backup-appliance or www.symantec.com/backup-exec-3600-appliance.