IBM Expands Collaborative Software Development Solutions to Cloud, Mobile Technologies
Solutions help development teams deliver software with quality, speed, agility.
Note: ESJ’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
IBM announced a range of new software solutions that will help clients create software applications faster and with higher quality across multiple development environments including cloud, mobile, and complex systems.
The push toward continuously evolving systems necessitates consistency and collaboration across the entire software life cycle and supply chain. Often, software development teams are struggling to meet business expectations because of a lack of hard facts. There is a need for shared data and a consistent context across organizational boundaries, exposed through clear and honest metrics.
To address these challenges, IBM is introducing a new version of its integrated software Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM) solution with extended design management capabilities. CLM is built on IBM’s open development platform, Jazz, and brings together IBM Rational Requirements Composer, IBM Rational Team Concert, and IBM Rational Quality Manager in a single solution. The new CLM software ensures that software design is integrated with the rest of the software application development life cycle. Development teams are now able to seamlessly collaborate on the design and development of software with key stakeholders from across the business.
DevOps in the Cloud
In a typical organization, it may take weeks or months to deliver a development change due to infrastructure and configuration, testing and manual deployment, and a lack of collaboration between development and operations teams. Continuous software delivery in the cloud allows customers to continuously and automatically deliver changes across the enterprise software delivery life cycle, spanning development, application testing and operations.
With a “DevOps” approach in the cloud, customers can reduce time to market and automate changes in development, test and production. IBM is supporting cloud delivery, development, and operations with new solutions, including:
- IBM Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management on IBM SmartCloud Enterprise provides an agile cloud computing infrastructure as a service (IaaS) well suited for development and test that is designed to provide rapid access to secure, enterprise-class virtual server environments.
- The IBM SmartCloud Application Services pilot provides a pay-as-you-go service that coordinates activities across business and system requirements, design, development, build, test, and delivery.
- IBM SmartCloud for Government Development and Test Platform as a service delivers industry-leading Rational tools for government agencies in a highly scalable, elastic computing environment for agencies that want the cost savings of a shared cloud environment combined with Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) security.
- IBM SmartCloud Continuous Delivery managed beta via a hosted sandbox in the cloud, provides a hands-on-experience of DevOps capabilities enabling accelerated code-to-deploy through automation, standardization of repeatable processes, and improved coordination and visibility among development, test and operations teams.
- IBM SmartCloud Application Performance Management software provides comprehensive monitoring and management capabilities that enable development and operations professionals to reduce costly troubleshooting. It also provides free resources to focus on developing new innovations and services for customers. With this tighter integration, application issues can be found and resolved faster and proactively prevented to avoid future service disruption.
Enterprise Mobile Development
IBM Rational CLM has also been extended to the IBM Mobile Foundation platform for centralized code sharing and distributed mobile application development. Currently, fragmentation of mobile devices, tools, and platforms complicates delivery of mobile applications that typically have faster time-to-market and more frequent releases.
The IBM Enterprise Mobile Development solution helps teams apply an end-to-end life cycle management process to design, develop, test and deploy mobile applications while enabling seamless integration with enterprise back-end systems and cloud services through mobile-optimized middleware.
The Enterprise Mobile Development solution brings together several offerings that optimize the recent Worklight acquisition as well as IBM enterprise development environments, including:
- Rational Solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management
- IBM Worklight Studio 5.0 and IBM Worklight Server 5.0
- Rational Application Developer v8.5
- Rational Developer for System z v8.5
- Rational Developer for Power Systems v8.5
- IBM Application Center 5.0
- Android SDK and Emulator
Green Hat Technology in New IBM Test Automation Solutions
Today's applications and manufactured products put additional pressures on development teams to find innovative ways to attain agility and increase the rate that software updates are delivered for testing. IBM has integrated the recently acquired Green Hat technology with IBM Rational CLM to help address the challenges of testing highly integrated and complex systems and simplify the creation of virtual test environments. New IBM test automation solutions use virtualized test environments and can reduce costs associated with the setup, maintenance and tear down of infrastructure associated with traditional testing or cloud based implementations.
For more information, visit ibm.com/software.